Prayers for my Children
I blogged last week about writing prayers to pray daily for my family and closest friends.  First I worked on the prayers for Eric and I, and then I sat down to write the prayers for my children.  It's funny, the list grows every day.  But I guess that's a good thing.  The thing I'm working on most for me right now is how I interact with my children.  I find myself getting after them entirely too often.  I  catch myself yelling over something that just isn't that important.  So right now I'm working on being gentle with them, praising them and encouraging them, and correcting them in a gentle manner as opposed to the "Italian-but-not" way we're accustomed to.  (You'd have to spend 24 hours with my family to understand that statement.  Love you, Tia.)  My prayers for them flowed out of the end of the pen with no difficulty at all, and the list grows every day.  I wanted to share a few with you guys, so here it is.  There are some that are specific to each child, but I want to share the ones for both.

1. That they continue to grow in knowledge and love for you, and when they are ready, will become Christians, devoting their whole hearts to you.
2. That when they start to date they will be wise in their choices, choosing only young men/women you would approve of.
3. That they will remain sexually pure, saving themselves for the spouses you have purposed for them.
4. That they choose a husband/wife that loves you more than them and seeks only to please you, a spouse that will help them get to Heaven.
5. That they will be able to withstand temptation and always seek the way out.
6. That they will recognize the lies of the enemy and put them away.
7. That as teenagers their relationships with Eric and I will be strong, that our communications will remain open.  That there won't be anger or resentment, but love and respect on both ends.
8. That as teens they will remain firmly grounded in you, that they won't go down the wrong paths, avoiding drugs and alcohol, that they will have pure tongues, and choose to spend time with their friends at home or in a safe environment.
9. that they will remain active in the church throughout their teen and college years, revolving their lives, recreation, entertainment, and friendships around you.
10. That they will surround themselves with Godly friends that will build them up and keep them accountable.

These prayers are close to my heart, since I know it is my responsibility to pray for their future now!
1 Response
  1. Tia Says:

    Love you too! And love these prayers!


Post a Comment



  • I'm a wife. I'm a mom. I'm a photographer. I'm a lover of Jesus. My house is a mess, my kids are dirty, we eat take out more often than not. My life is loud, busy and crazy. And that's okay with me.

    This is Eric, the man you've been praying for. He's a paramedic. He quilts in his spare time. No, I couldn't make that up :) He has NASH (a form of liver disease, non-alcoholic) and diabetes, but those things don't define him. He's a man of God, an insanely wonderful husband, and the best daddy in the world.. Just ask these guys..

    Our daughter Ali, she's 9. She's fiercely opinionated and strong willed. She's a Daddy's girl, but the umbilical cord hasn't but cut from me, either. She's a gymnast, and proud of it. She spends more time upside down or turning flips than she does walking. She's crazy smart, and absolutely sure of it. She is my insufferable little know it all.

    Our son Dylan, 7. We lovingly refer to him as Chubs. Or Chubby. Or fat boy. Ahem. He is all boy, as you can see by his crazy wild energy. He has the highest pain tolerance of any child I have ever met. He plays soccer and does gymnastics, but truly he is a gamer, a nerd. He is an avid reader and loves to climb. Not to be outdone by his sister, he's a drama king, but to him, I'm the best mommy in the world.