Totally not my generation.
This generation is certainly a new one.  The world my children live in is very different from the one I grew up in.  For example, when I was 7, I was riding the neighborhood on my bike with my friends.  I wouldn't dare let Ali, who is almost 7, go out without me.  I can barely force myself to let them play in MY yard without me right there.  We don't trust people like we used to, because lets face it, we've been given plenty of reason not to.  However, this is not the difference I am speaking of.  When I was 5, I remember I played outside all the time.  I was learning to ride my bike, following my big brothers around.  Life was simple.  I knew about a few things: God, school, dirt, bikes, toys, and family.  It really was that simple.  Today, however, my children have proven to me that we're in a different time.  Each night for the last few weeks we've been watching a movie with the kids.  Tonight we decided on Alladin.  When it was time to watch the movie, the conversation went something like this:

Ali (6 3/4): Dylan, go find Alladin while I hook up the VCR.  (btw, my kids didn't know what a VCR was until a couple of months ago when we discovered all of my old VHS's)
Dylan (5) Ali, you know I can't read.  You go find Alladin and I'll hook up the VCR.
Me: Dylan do you know how to hook up the VCR
Dylan: YES
Ali: Noooo
Dylan: Yes I do, go get the movie.

And then he proceeds to hook up the VCR.  Seriously.

They both can efficiently operate a computer, cell phone, game boy/xbox/play station, and just about any other electronic device you give them.  And Dylan can't even read the instructions.  LOL.
0 Responses

Post a Comment



  • I'm a wife. I'm a mom. I'm a photographer. I'm a lover of Jesus. My house is a mess, my kids are dirty, we eat take out more often than not. My life is loud, busy and crazy. And that's okay with me.

    This is Eric, the man you've been praying for. He's a paramedic. He quilts in his spare time. No, I couldn't make that up :) He has NASH (a form of liver disease, non-alcoholic) and diabetes, but those things don't define him. He's a man of God, an insanely wonderful husband, and the best daddy in the world.. Just ask these guys..

    Our daughter Ali, she's 9. She's fiercely opinionated and strong willed. She's a Daddy's girl, but the umbilical cord hasn't but cut from me, either. She's a gymnast, and proud of it. She spends more time upside down or turning flips than she does walking. She's crazy smart, and absolutely sure of it. She is my insufferable little know it all.

    Our son Dylan, 7. We lovingly refer to him as Chubs. Or Chubby. Or fat boy. Ahem. He is all boy, as you can see by his crazy wild energy. He has the highest pain tolerance of any child I have ever met. He plays soccer and does gymnastics, but truly he is a gamer, a nerd. He is an avid reader and loves to climb. Not to be outdone by his sister, he's a drama king, but to him, I'm the best mommy in the world.