Show Us You Lives - Baby Names.
Well, it's time to show us your lives. This week we're discussing baby names. I'm actually kinda excited by this one! Hop on over to Kelly's blog to check out/steal other people's baby names :)

As we all know, Eric and I have two children. As a child I always had baby names picked out. I remember my favorite boy name being Caleb James. I was adamant that this was going to be my son's name. But then in high school I met a guy named Caleb, and I changed my mind. Ha.

When I was in middle school there was a show on Nickelodeon called 'The Secret Life of Alex Mack'. Everyone always told me I looked like her (Laryssa Oleynik) and so a lot of my friends called me Alex. I decided that I really liked the name, and decided that I would name my daughter Alex.

Fast forward 8 or so years.

When I was 19 I got married. 6 weeks later we found out I was 4 weeks pregnant. Yeah, I know. Shut up.

When I was 20 weeks we found out that we were having a girl. As soon as we found out we named her Alexandria. I don't really know that I even remembered being determined to name my daughter Alex. Funny, bc she didn't even wind up an Alex, but Ali. Don't know how that happened. Her middle name is Brooke. When I went off to college I met a very special woman. She is basically like my other mother. She took me in and loved me like her own. Her daughter is named Brooke, and so I named my daughter Alexandria (Ali) Brooke. She goes by Ali 90% of the time. She does however answer to Sasha (the Russian nickname for Alexander/Alexandria), Al, Alex, Brooklynn, or just Brooke. Mostly I call her Brooke or Brooklynn when she isn't paying attention to me, bc it's different and she knows I mean business :)

Then when she was 12 months old we found out we were pregnant again. I was certain it was a girl. Or best friends had 4 girls, so I was sure we were having another girl. At the time Eric's dad had been diagnosed with lung cancer. He passed away when I was 18 weeks pregnant. The very next day I had my level II ultrasound. It was absolutely horrid. The tech kept telling me she thought something might be wrong with the "fetus", and she couldn't tell the sex. It was awful. We left devastated, with the weight of Bob's (Eric's dad) death on our shoulders. We were sure something was wrong with our little bean. When we got back to Eric's parents house Eric's sister sat us down and told us that she was sure everything was fine. She's an u/s tech at a big hospital and so she told me that if I would drive her home after a few days (so her husband could go ahead and take their son home) she would sneak me into the hospital and do an u/s just to check and make sure everything was okay. She was 26 weeks pregnant at the time. It was a long few days. I was terrified. We were already hurting, and we were so afraid that we were going to lose our daughter, too. (mind you I was still convinced we were having a girl).

When we went to the big city, we stopped by the hospital first. The second that she set the u/s probe on my stomach she said 'well, it's a boy'. I was SHOCKED. I started crying. I was so scared/excited/freaked out. She did all the measurements and took a peek at all the organs and such and assured me that our son was indeed perfectly healthy and that there was nothing to worry about. I cried half the way home just because I lost the concept of being able to say 'the girls'. I know I know. We honestly didn't have a name for the longest time. We knew that his middle name would be Robert. We were so glad to be able to honor Eric's dad that way.

We could NOT agree on a name. We thought hard about Zachary. In fact, I think his name was Zachary for a little while. I really liked Zach, but Eric kept calling him Z-Bob to irritate me, so I decided against Zachary. Finally one day when I was very pregnant (and on bed rest) I was laying on the couch with a baby name book in my hand. Eric was across the room on the computer. We were facing each other. I opened the book to the A's. I read. There was a lot of " I really like that name" and the other one going "ummmmm...". Finally I said Dylan and Eric immediately said 'Hey, I kinda like that'. I popped up off the couch and said that's it. That's his name shut up now don't you dare try to change it this kid needs a name! And so Dylan Robert it is.

I won't be having any more children, but just in case, I have names picked out :)
Boy: Jackson Riley (Jack is my Dad's nickname, Riley my grandfather's name)
Girl: Amelia Marie (Marie after my sissy), Morgan Lee (Lee after my other sissy, though it's spelled differently), Sophia Ann, Olivia Grace (this one is particularly special to me, for personal reasons). Eric likes Jasmine (as do I), and Dylan likes Kayla (don't ask me where he got that from).

**Disclaimer** Vera, I stole your girls names. Sorry. Take it as a compliment :)

Okay, I'm done rambling about baby names for babies I'll probably never have. hehe

And btw, I just asked Eric 'if we had another daughter, what would you name her' his answer "divorce". haha don't worry he's just kidding :)

Court
2 Responses
  1. vera Says:

    Ha ha! I had to call my friend Elizabeth about six months ago and say "Elizabeth, I'm sorry... the ONLY boy name we can agree on it Henry. And I know you just had a baby named Henry, but do you mind if I steal your name?!" As you know, she said it was okay. So, if you have another baby, I'd be honored if you named her Sophia or Amelia :)


  2. Annette W. Says:

    I like the just in case...and your husband's response!

    We were past due with both of our children and still discussing names!


Post a Comment



  • I'm a wife. I'm a mom. I'm a photographer. I'm a lover of Jesus. My house is a mess, my kids are dirty, we eat take out more often than not. My life is loud, busy and crazy. And that's okay with me.

    This is Eric, the man you've been praying for. He's a paramedic. He quilts in his spare time. No, I couldn't make that up :) He has NASH (a form of liver disease, non-alcoholic) and diabetes, but those things don't define him. He's a man of God, an insanely wonderful husband, and the best daddy in the world.. Just ask these guys..

    Our daughter Ali, she's 9. She's fiercely opinionated and strong willed. She's a Daddy's girl, but the umbilical cord hasn't but cut from me, either. She's a gymnast, and proud of it. She spends more time upside down or turning flips than she does walking. She's crazy smart, and absolutely sure of it. She is my insufferable little know it all.

    Our son Dylan, 7. We lovingly refer to him as Chubs. Or Chubby. Or fat boy. Ahem. He is all boy, as you can see by his crazy wild energy. He has the highest pain tolerance of any child I have ever met. He plays soccer and does gymnastics, but truly he is a gamer, a nerd. He is an avid reader and loves to climb. Not to be outdone by his sister, he's a drama king, but to him, I'm the best mommy in the world.