The Change in Someone's life
Jesus was a doer. He didn't sit around and talk about what he wanted to do. He didn't make plans and never really follow through. He didn't look at what other people were doing and say 'I wish I could give like that'. He just went out and did what needed to be done.


When he saw hungry people, he fed them. (Matthew 14:13-21)

When he saw people who were ill, he healed them. (Mark 5:25-34, Mark 1:40-45, Mark 1:29-39, Matthew 21:14)

When he knew that people were lost, he showed them the way. (John 4:4-42, Luke 5:31-32)

He taught God's word all the time, no matter what. (Luke 2:39-52, Matt 5-7)

He wasn't passive in his walk. He was active. He was constantly doing good. Always. He was a doer. Obviously we can't heal people the way he can, and such, but there are things that we can do.

I want to be a doer.

I want to change the world. I've always wanted to change the world. But sometimes it feels like the world is just too big for me to change. But even when Jesus knew the odds were against him, it didn't stop him. He still did what needed to be done. And a lot of the time the things he did only affected one person. But he did them. He healed a blind man. He healed the 10 lepers. He raised a little girl. Those things didn't change the world, but they certainly changed those people's worlds. That's what I want to do.

I often feel that the little things I do just don't really make a difference. 'Oh yay Courtney, you gave Christmas gifts to 7 women, woohoo. There are starving children in Africa'. But you know what? Those women are just as important as those starving children. I don't have the means to feed all of those children, but I do have the means to take care of these few women. I may not be changing the world, but I hope to change their worlds. Even if just a little.

Back in November when I got the idea for Chronic Love I was stoked. I'll be honest, I thought it was the coolest idea, and I thought for sure I was going to touch these women's lives and I would get to see God's work first hand. And when the time came to take the gifts, I just dropped them off at the offices of the shelters. I never met any of the women. I didn't get to see their faces when they opened the gifts. But every time I drive by the shelter where we live, I get this little giddy feeling knowing that I've done something. I say a prayer when I drive by, and I'm trying to remind myself that I am doing what I can.

And so now, for Valentine's day, we're doing it all over again. I took some of Eric's extra fabric and put together little gift bags. I cut out little hearts to sew on the front, but since I'm inept, Eric had to do that for me. But we got it done. Yesterday Stacey and I went and bought things to put inside the bags. Little things. I think the best part about it this time was that my children wanted to help. They helped sew the bags, and they put all of the stuff in them. They want to go with me tomorrow when I go to drop them off. I love that they have a heart to give, and I love that in doing these things I'm teaching them to love and take care of others. I want to teach them to be doers, too.

This is one f the bags I made. Not a lot of work, and no money. I <3



These are the goodies we put into the bags. Not world changing stuff. But enough to make someone feel loved. And that, my friends, is enough to change some one's world.


I just had to show you these lollipops bc I'm in love with them. I got them at Walmart for a dollar! They're just too cute.


Excuse the quality of these photos, apparently Stella lost her groove for a bit.

Anyhow. These are just little things. But I'm doing. I'm trying to do. I want to be the change in someone's life. Somehow. I want to show someone how much God loves them. I want to show them they aren't alone in this ugly world. And even though I can't feed the thousands of starving children in this world, I can help these women feel loved, safe, and like they're worth something. And to me, that is the biggest thing I can give them.

What are you doing? (that's not a rhetorical question, people, leave me a comment, it excites me to see other people's love!)


8 Responses
  1. Mallory Says:

    I'm so proud of you for not only DOING, but teaching Ali and Dylan to DO, as well. <3 you, friend. I wish I could be there tomorrow.


  2. Courtney Says:

    Mallory I <3 you so much and I can't wait until we meet in person. If you ever feel like you need to go 'home' you can come here if you need to. I know that's weird, coming from a stranger, but you know me :) So, we'll plan better, next time. We're going to do something for Mother's Day, as well. You'll still be around then, won't you?!?!


  3. Mallory Says:

    LOL no, the school year is over May 7th. I can't wait till we get the opportunity to meet! <3


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Courtney! That's awesome. I know how you feel. When I was younger I always thought I'd be someone important and sometimes being a mom feels more like being a hamster on a wheel!
    But aside from what you're giving those women, I think your testimony says more. Especially how God continues to provide you with hope and peace in spite of your past. I know we say we want to be a light in this world and it feels like we're being snuffed out daily, but God honors every little thing we do. Like for me yesterday, telling a co worker that I listen to Christian radio. There's nothing offensive about that, but it says a lot! I keep praying that I am "walking the talk!"
    Happy Valentine's Day! I hope someone does something special for YOU!! :)


  5. Kaylan Says:

    Love your heart! I teach, and many of my students are from low income families, possibly involved in gang activity, etc. I have never really thought to pray for my students, but we had people come from prison yesterday to talk to the school...last night as I prayed, God laid it on my heart to pray specifically for some of my students. I can't believe it never occurred to me before. They SO need prayer as much as any of us do. Hey, it's a start, right? We also just had a birthday party for our 1 year old. Instead of gifts, we asked that people bring money for Haiti. We haven't sent it in yet, because others have said they wanted to bring some (who didn't come to the party) and we are giving through Compassion International. We have $115 so far!! These are small things, but every little bit counts, right?


  6. Ed and Jenn Says:

    I really needed to hear these words right now. I am so overwhelmed with all the people in need in the world and feeling like my little acts will never be enough. I am literally crying at my computer because this post was just what I needed right now. Thank you. I just found your blog "randomly"...and my "randomly" I mean thanks to God :)


  7. Tia Says:

    I don't know that I'm doing anything right now. But I love what you are doing. God has so blessed us - what better way for us to honor and appreciate those blessings than by using them to serve His kingdom. To let love spill forth continually from our hearts.


  8. Reese Says:

    Court, or should I say "Stella"..haha! You Rock!! I am so proud of you....Even if it is just one woman/person; DO IT! In my volunteerism @ Children's Hosp here in Dallas, I would surely buckle, if I thought of every sick child; but, instead? I.take.it.ONE.CHILD.at.a.time. :-)
    Keep doing what you're doing.
    xo


Post a Comment



  • I'm a wife. I'm a mom. I'm a photographer. I'm a lover of Jesus. My house is a mess, my kids are dirty, we eat take out more often than not. My life is loud, busy and crazy. And that's okay with me.

    This is Eric, the man you've been praying for. He's a paramedic. He quilts in his spare time. No, I couldn't make that up :) He has NASH (a form of liver disease, non-alcoholic) and diabetes, but those things don't define him. He's a man of God, an insanely wonderful husband, and the best daddy in the world.. Just ask these guys..

    Our daughter Ali, she's 9. She's fiercely opinionated and strong willed. She's a Daddy's girl, but the umbilical cord hasn't but cut from me, either. She's a gymnast, and proud of it. She spends more time upside down or turning flips than she does walking. She's crazy smart, and absolutely sure of it. She is my insufferable little know it all.

    Our son Dylan, 7. We lovingly refer to him as Chubs. Or Chubby. Or fat boy. Ahem. He is all boy, as you can see by his crazy wild energy. He has the highest pain tolerance of any child I have ever met. He plays soccer and does gymnastics, but truly he is a gamer, a nerd. He is an avid reader and loves to climb. Not to be outdone by his sister, he's a drama king, but to him, I'm the best mommy in the world.