Family
Today I am thankful for my family.  I'm thankful for the time we get to spend together, and I'm thankful for getting to celebrate the little things.

My dad is a truck driver, and he gets to come home every three weeks.  He's home this weekend, and so we're celebrating.

The best part is that I'm celebrating with my family, and there are as many people here that don't share my blood line as there are who do.

My sister is in the kitchen, and she's much more like my mom than I am.  But we share no common genes.

My nieces and nephews are outside playing with my children, and there is no commonality in their DNA.

My favorite thing about family is that you really can choose your family, no matter what people say.  So the kids who live down the road are now ours, the same as my three are.  (In case you weren't aware, Anthony has officially claimed me as his mother, although we can't adopt him, unfortunately. Thankfully his father is actually trying to be a human again.)

And my best friend is now my sister, and her brothers are mine too.  And we are praying that the middle one comes home safely from Iraq, and very soon, so that he can be here to celebrate Christmas with us.  As a family.  Their parents, my parents.  It's all the same anymore, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So today, I'm thankful for family, and thankful that DNA doesn't have as much say as you would think.
0 Responses

Post a Comment



  • I'm a wife. I'm a mom. I'm a photographer. I'm a lover of Jesus. My house is a mess, my kids are dirty, we eat take out more often than not. My life is loud, busy and crazy. And that's okay with me.

    This is Eric, the man you've been praying for. He's a paramedic. He quilts in his spare time. No, I couldn't make that up :) He has NASH (a form of liver disease, non-alcoholic) and diabetes, but those things don't define him. He's a man of God, an insanely wonderful husband, and the best daddy in the world.. Just ask these guys..

    Our daughter Ali, she's 9. She's fiercely opinionated and strong willed. She's a Daddy's girl, but the umbilical cord hasn't but cut from me, either. She's a gymnast, and proud of it. She spends more time upside down or turning flips than she does walking. She's crazy smart, and absolutely sure of it. She is my insufferable little know it all.

    Our son Dylan, 7. We lovingly refer to him as Chubs. Or Chubby. Or fat boy. Ahem. He is all boy, as you can see by his crazy wild energy. He has the highest pain tolerance of any child I have ever met. He plays soccer and does gymnastics, but truly he is a gamer, a nerd. He is an avid reader and loves to climb. Not to be outdone by his sister, he's a drama king, but to him, I'm the best mommy in the world.