Show Us Your Ministries
I've known Kelly was going to do this for weeks, and completely forgot to write a post. I know. Go me.

I started this blog oh so many months ago because I was ready to break the silence, and to help others, even if just one person, who is walking the same dark road that I am. I was sexually abused by an older brother for most of my childhood. I don't remember when it began. I don't remember before the abuse, so I've always guessed I was six or seven. It went on until I was about 14. I spent many, many years in denial. In fact, I didn't even admit the abuse to myself until about 2 years ago. I spent my teen years battling drug and alcohol addictions.

I was diagnosed bipolar at the age of 19, and instead of contesting that, I let it be. I didn't want to have to explain what was *really* wrong with me. Funnily enough, turns out I really am bipolar. I have major depressive episodes, and also struggle with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Even now, 2 years after starting this long journey of healing, I still have good days and bad days. Sometimes I have bad weeks, or even months. But I hold on to the hope that my God will carry me through and there is indeed something better after this life.

Since I'm so unprepared, I'm going to link to two posts. The first post is the first post I wrote for this blog, beginning this journey, and the second post is a very recent post about the ministry I've started called Chronic Love. I hope you'll take the time to look. I really wish I had the attention span to do a better job at this post, I just can't think straight right now. Thank you for stopping by, and I hope you'll stick around!

Here is the link to the first post I wrote. Please know that this blog can sometimes be very hard to read. I can sometimes be brutally honest, but it's my road and the silence needed to be broken! I hope that some one, somewhere, reads this and knows that they aren't alone. I'm here and if you want to contact me feel free to comment or even email me at livbroken@gmail.com.

Here is the link to the Chronic Love post. This is a project in which we minister to women in domestic violence shelters and also donate to those shelters to help provide the basic necessities they need to operate. There are several more posts about it throughout my blog if you're interested just type Chronic Love in the search bar.


4 Responses
  1. Penny Says:

    I saw your post on Kelly's blog. I, too, went through abuse (at the hands of a family member) and was diagnosed with bipolar at 35. Several doctors since then disagree if that diagnosis is correct. The first two said "religiosity" then because of one woman, I got stuck with the second label. I don't write about the abuse on my blog, I share it privately as needed to help someone. I have family members that read my blog, and know about the abuse, but it is very difficult for them to dwell on it daily. I don't and I've actually forgiven the one that abused me. I wasn't abused for years like you were, I can't even imagine that. Mine lasted a few months and happened over 30 years ago. I've never suppressed any feelings about it, had people I could talk to as needed, and refused to let it define me. I have taken opportunities, like you, to allow God to use it positively when I have shared and helped someone going through it. I'm so sorry you also had to endure that growing up. I hope, through ministering to others, you are able to heal completely. God bless.
    If you want to respond to my comment, my email is plcraft@bellsouth.net. Just leave me a comment with your email address in it as I do not open emails if I don't recognize the sender. :)
    PS Your children are adorable!


  2. Miki Says:

    I am so glad I came across your blog :-) I appreciate your honesty and transparency; thank you for breaking the silence. Chronic Love sounds like a wonderful way to reach out to other women - I'm going to go back and read your description of it. I'm a fellow photographer and sister in the Lord, Miki


  3. You are a wonderful writing! Your story is so inspirational to so many people out there. Your voice, your one voice acts as the salvation to so many! God Bless you.

    Lynn


  4. Unknown Says:

    I'm so glad you're speaking up and standing up. And, for the record, I appreciate your brutal honesty.

    PS I'm glad things with Ali seem to be okay!
    PPS I also wrote a post for Kelly's Show Us Your Ministires. Feel free to check it out (if you want, of course!). No pressure or anything at all! Just wanted to put it out there.

    http://onegirl-itjusttakesone.blogspot.com/2010/02/show-us-your-life-ministires.html


Post a Comment



  • I'm a wife. I'm a mom. I'm a photographer. I'm a lover of Jesus. My house is a mess, my kids are dirty, we eat take out more often than not. My life is loud, busy and crazy. And that's okay with me.

    This is Eric, the man you've been praying for. He's a paramedic. He quilts in his spare time. No, I couldn't make that up :) He has NASH (a form of liver disease, non-alcoholic) and diabetes, but those things don't define him. He's a man of God, an insanely wonderful husband, and the best daddy in the world.. Just ask these guys..

    Our daughter Ali, she's 9. She's fiercely opinionated and strong willed. She's a Daddy's girl, but the umbilical cord hasn't but cut from me, either. She's a gymnast, and proud of it. She spends more time upside down or turning flips than she does walking. She's crazy smart, and absolutely sure of it. She is my insufferable little know it all.

    Our son Dylan, 7. We lovingly refer to him as Chubs. Or Chubby. Or fat boy. Ahem. He is all boy, as you can see by his crazy wild energy. He has the highest pain tolerance of any child I have ever met. He plays soccer and does gymnastics, but truly he is a gamer, a nerd. He is an avid reader and loves to climb. Not to be outdone by his sister, he's a drama king, but to him, I'm the best mommy in the world.