New Memories
UPDATE:
I'm sitting here now, having had a hot bath stuffing myself full with the best Thanksgiving meal a girl could ask for. Eric truly is a fantastic chef. My parents are here, Mom's reading a magazine and Dad is preparing himself for his nap. Dylan is watching Happy Feet, and Ali has ventured outside to enjoy the cool weather and falling leaves. I'm sure I'll have a few brought in as gifts before the day is over. Today we are indeed making new memories. I'm sad that I can't find either the original Miracle on 34th street, or the newest remake on television. It doesn't make sense. It's Thanksgiving for Pete's sake. Anyhow. I will probably be back to post more, later. I didn't expect that the morning would be hard, I knew I'd be okay. It's later that I'm worried about. This evening when things are quiet and calm and no one is around. It's then that I may post more, that I may need to ramble, that I may just need to be here and be still and be loved. I love you all and I hope you all truly do have a fantastic Thanksgiving. It's all about Thanks. And hopefully about some Giving.


ORIGINAL POST
I slept til noon. It's my Thanksgiving, don't judge me.

Today, we are making new memories. I woke up to pancakes at noon, and Eric already had the turkey in the oven. I recorded the parade. We're sitting here now, in our very own living room, watching the parade. It's so much fun to hear Dylan oooh and ahhh and screech over the balloons, and to hear Ali threaten people: 'No one answers the door but me' and 'do NOT unpause the parade until after I potty'. She's got this under control. The magic that I remember on Thanksgiving as a small child is not here. It is not in my heart. But I'm praying it is in theirs.

I'm okay. I've been up an hour, and I've only teared up once so far. My parents just pulled up, and Ali is putting on her pilgrim hat so she can answer the door. It's a different kind of Thanksgiving for us, this year. But we are still giving thanks.
1 Response
  1. Tia Says:

    Here's to new memories! Thinking of you. I've eaten too much and am ready for a nap.


Post a Comment



  • I'm a wife. I'm a mom. I'm a photographer. I'm a lover of Jesus. My house is a mess, my kids are dirty, we eat take out more often than not. My life is loud, busy and crazy. And that's okay with me.

    This is Eric, the man you've been praying for. He's a paramedic. He quilts in his spare time. No, I couldn't make that up :) He has NASH (a form of liver disease, non-alcoholic) and diabetes, but those things don't define him. He's a man of God, an insanely wonderful husband, and the best daddy in the world.. Just ask these guys..

    Our daughter Ali, she's 9. She's fiercely opinionated and strong willed. She's a Daddy's girl, but the umbilical cord hasn't but cut from me, either. She's a gymnast, and proud of it. She spends more time upside down or turning flips than she does walking. She's crazy smart, and absolutely sure of it. She is my insufferable little know it all.

    Our son Dylan, 7. We lovingly refer to him as Chubs. Or Chubby. Or fat boy. Ahem. He is all boy, as you can see by his crazy wild energy. He has the highest pain tolerance of any child I have ever met. He plays soccer and does gymnastics, but truly he is a gamer, a nerd. He is an avid reader and loves to climb. Not to be outdone by his sister, he's a drama king, but to him, I'm the best mommy in the world.